Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What have I been up to?!

Well, it's been a thoroughly eventful week for me. Firstly, dealing with our escrow company has been um...a bundle of joy? More like making me want to pull my hair out and throw things. Last night we were able to finally sign the final docs, which means all we have to do now is get the loan funded (should happen tomorrow) and registered with L.A. County (should happen Friday) and then keys will be in hand!! May our new lives in our new homes begin.

I've got 6 yards of a beautiful microfiber just waiting to be turned into curtains and I can't wait to take care of that. I'm excited to try sewing curtains and I'm also very hopeful that it's as easy as it is made out to be on the videos I've been watching on you tube. In addition to that I'm thrilled that I'm going to be gaining a dedicated craft space, and creating a couple of stairwell galleries for my photography. =) For now, I will continue putting things in boxes and living out of my suitcase (seeing as we sold both of our dressers in anticipation of our new bedroom set.)

Secondly, I am happy to announce that as of this morning I am officially a U.S. permanent resident. Almost exactly 11 years ago to the day, I got on a plane out of Heathrow to start my new life at UC San Diego. I'm truly happy to say that, while I love England (check out the picture of my local pub back home) I'm really excited to be staying out here as a very proud Brit in California. After all the trials and tribulations of staying out here legally through student and work visas, walking into my green card interview and trying to show someone that the last ten years of my life with my new husband are truly legit is definitely an experience that brings you crashing back to earth. When the official said "Congratulations, I'm approving your petition," it took a lot for me not to jump around the desk and hug him.

So, to sum it up, I certainly wasn't expecting to find the love of my life a couple of days after getting off the plane but if you have an 18 year old daughter who meets a cute guy in the dorms that's willing to give her and her friends a ride to a frat party, don't discount the fact that 10 years on they might be happily married and with a new house purchase on their hands. =) It's been a rocky road but I know if we can support each other through the last couple of weeks we've had and still maintain somewhat of a sense of humor, it will be getting better from here.

No comments: