Friday, August 7, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance?

I am a not so secret lover of the show "So You Think You Can Dance". I've been watching since about half way through Season 1 and I'm totally addicted. This has way surpassed my addiction to Top Model, but probably because the dancers on this show have TALENT.

I was a ballet dancer for 12 years through the Royal Academy Of Dance in the UK, and also did tap dancing for a few years in among that as well. My claim to fame being presented a silver tap dancing certificate by Errol "I Believe In Miracles" Brown of Hot Chocolate. I've done the excruciatingly painful ballet en pointe, had my picture taken for the local paper in my leotard (which still haunts me to this day), and found out that it takes approximately 230 bobby pins and 2 cans of hairspray to get my hair sufficiently up in a bun for examinations. Essentially, I understand the dedication that it takes to dance. Even with all that though, I can't get close to the standard of brilliant that I see with the dancers on this show.

Last night, I was honored to go to the finale taping for Season 5. My office is responsible for a lot of the music licensing that ends up on that show (including the song for my favorite dance of the season above) so my co-worker pulled a few strings and managed to get me tickets. I was giddy all week at the prospect of seeing the action live and I certainly wasn't disappointed. What's even better is that given it was the finale, they performed some of the best dances from the entire season and the top 20 finalists did group numbers together. It was like buying a best-of compilation CD!
I manage to snap this pic with my little Blackberry camera right after the winner was announced and they released the confetti (which also prompted me to feel really sorry for the cleaning crew)! I'm really happy that the win went to Jeanine last night. She's an amazing dancer - fiery, fun and classy all at the same time. Rock on girl!

No comments: