Friday, June 27, 2008

Proof that crafters will MacGyver anything!

While discussing fiber arts in general in a forum last week, someone said that seeing as I knit, crochet and spin, the next step for me might be weaving. I told her not to curse me with yet another hobby that I have to find time for! Being me though, I found the concept intriguing and have a ton of mill end scrap yarns in the house that someone sent me that I've been wondering what to do with. I figured a while ago that weaving them would probably be perfect, but alas, I know not how to weave.

I don't know if it's because I grew up in England and learned more than your average kid might have about fiber arts, but I remember learning the basics of weaving and the different parts of the loom. So, while I'm sitting in my office on my lunch break with nothing much to do, I started surfing the web for tutorials on how to make a home made loom. Next thing you know I'm constructing a coaster with some cardboard, yarn (which I always have in my office anyway) and my letter opener, which conveniently has a hole in the end to secure the yarn with and use as a shuttle. I'm convinced that you can hand a crafter three completely random objects and tell them to make something and they'll find a way to MacGyver it.

2 comments:

idyll hands said...

Do you see yourself weaving as much as knitting and spinning? I've tried weaving and it doesn't hold the same joy for me as knitting does. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm curious about how others feel about it.

Natalie J said...

I doubt weaving will hold the same for me as knitting and spinning, but I can see that it's fun to experiment with. I think I need to come up with a better "loom" though! Hehe.