Wednesday, January 7, 2009

One way to stash bust

I just came across this video of Extreme Knitting, an art form brought to us by Rachel John in the UK...trust a crazy brit to come up with something like this! (I should know, I am one). Using hundreds of strands of yarn and fence post sized knitting needles, she creates seriously over sized knit pieces that have no apparent practical use, but definitely look comfortable; which is a good thing because it seems like a lot of work to create the piece in the first place.

I'm in awe of the artistry involved in her work and I'm still sitting here scratching my head and trying to figure out how on earth you'd keep the yarn from tangling. I have issues untangling 2 strands, let alone several hundred. I am inspired though and am now contemplating whether it would be possible to knit a large rug with needles the size of the handles on my Swiffer duster! Well, if my yarn stash ever takes over, I now know how to get rid of it quickly.


1 comment:

HollyLynne said...

Woah. I think you could do a rug, but it would be 2 feet high and cost $10,000. It would be rad though.