Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My so called yarn

I had ordered a drop spindle and roving from a farm on localharvest.org last week, so that I could make a few first attempts at spinning my own yarn. It arrived on Monday and of course, I spent quite a bit of that afternoon furtively spinning up the roving in my office at every opportunity I could. Waiting for a report to run? Spin the yarn. Waiting for the printer? Spin the yarn. Well, you get the idea.
Anyway, 48 hours later, I have 28 yards of something that could be mistaken for yarn in my possession. I took it home last night to set the twist and dry it. Then I woke up this morning, pulled it off the shower head and have my first mini-hank of joy!

I'm calling it watermelon. I know that much more practice is needed until I have something that looks more "regular" so to speak, and of course I have ordered more roving already because I'm almost through the practice wool that I bought. As if I need another obsession? Oh well. =)

1 comment:

idyll hands said...

It's lovely! I've decided it's going to take a lot of practice to get something "more regular" and I've learned to love the lumpy stuff in the mean time.

I think yours is great!