Thursday, July 31, 2008

What's in a name?

While I'm still busy racking my brain for a good name to reflect my new sock pattern (see previous post), I started thinking about how I come up with names for my photographs, yarns etc.

With photographs, I usually am inspired while just looking at the picture. Either something in the photograph, or a memory of how I felt taking it cause a title to come to mind. While spinning yarns, I am inspired by the colors and how they are working together. Sometimes I get stuck though and I feel like I am being utterly uncreative.

The most recent yarn that I posted in my Etsy store I named Zodiac. This one gave me a lot of trouble while I was spinning it, and even after I was done, it sat for a while as a lonely nameless creation. I'm hoping it didn't get too much of a complex during that time! I tried thinking of all the things that were black and gold and what it reminded me of and finally I found an image popping into my head of the sky at night with golden zodiac symbols glowing with in it.

An online dictionary provided this definition, and now I know that I gave it the right name, even though it may have taken a while for me to find it!

zo - di - ac (noun) ...an imaginary belt of the heavens, extending about 8° on each side of the ecliptic, within which are the apparent paths of the sun, moon, and principal planets.

No comments: